The Loma Prieta Sierra Singleaires
By-Laws, August 7, 2011
Article I. Organization
Section 1. Constitution. This Activity Section is constituted by action of the Executive Committee of the Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club in accordance with and subject to the provisions of the Bylaws of the Sierra Club. It is not a separate legal entity.
Section 2. Name. This Activity Section is called Sierra Singleaires, hereinafter referred to as Singleaires (SA) and is subject to the bylaws herein. They include a set of Standing Rules to be used with these bylaws, which are items which
may be modified on approval of both the Singleaires Executive Committee (ExCom) and General Meeting.
Article II. Purpose
The Singleaires purpose is to acquaint single adults with the natural history and beauty of the surrounding area, to promote environmental conservation, and to provide recreational and social activities for members. All activities shall be consistent with Sierra Club purposes.
Article III. Membership
Section 1. Any single member of the Sierra Club may become a member of the Section by applying to the Membership Chairperson, providing Sierra Club membership information, and subscribing to the Singleaire Newsletters.
Section 2. Membership is also available to continuing married Singleaire alumni and their spouses. All leadership positions are open to these married alumni and their spouses.
Section 3. Singleaire Newsletters (schedule of activities) are published quarterly. (subscription fee required)
Article IV. Officers
Section 1. There shall be nine elected officers of the Section: Chairperson, Program Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chairperson, Potluck Chairperson, Outings Committee Chairperson, Conservation Chairperson, and Webmaster. These nine people constitute the Executive Committee of the Section (Excom)
Section 2. Officers shall serve for a period of one year following election and installation. The Executive Committee is empowered to appoint an officer for the duration of the term if an absence results from death, resignation, moving or other incapacity
Section 3. The Executive Committee shall appoint and announce a nominating Committee of no less than three members (one of whom is a current Executive Committee member) at the winter meeting of the Section. Nominations will be requested in the spring quarter Singleaire Newsletters. The Nominating Committee shall publish a ballot listing all willing nominees in the summer bulletin.
Section 4. The annual election shall be held at the summer meeting of the Section. Absentee ballots received by mail before the summer meeting will also be accepted and counted along with the votes of members present( if that member did not mail a ballot). Elected officials shall take office immediately upon election. Outgoing officers shall work with incoming officers to assure continuity and to promote the well being of the Section and its members.
Section 5. In the event that a vacancy occurs on the Executive Committee, the Executive Committee, as elected, shall appoint a member to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, provided that at least four members of the Executive Committee have been elected and concur in the appointment. The Chairperson shall announce the appointment in the next Singleaire Newsletters of events, and also at the next meeting of the Section.
Article V. Duties
1. Chairperson of the Section: Calls and presides at meetings of the Section. Attends or appoints an alternate to attend the meetings designated by the Executive Committee of the Loma Prieta Chapter.
2. Program Chairperson: Coordinates the scheduling of activities and outings, publishes the quarterly Singleaire Newsletters, and maintains a file of quarterly Singleaire Newsletters. Acts in place of the Chairperson during the absence of the latter.
3. Secretary: Keep minutes of all meetings and prepare correspondence, memos, and reports requested by the Executive Committee. Is the official keeper of the Section bylaws , the Standing Rules, and officer job descriptions.
4. Treasurer: (a) Manages financial affairs of the Section in accordance with the Bylaws; (b) keeps a journal of income and expenses and any ledgers or other records as directed by the Executive Committee of the Loma Prieta Chapter, (c) keeps vouchers, receipts, canceled checks, checkbooks and bank statements, (d) makes a quarterly report of income and expenses and presents same at the quarterly ExCom and general meetings of the Section, with a copy sent to the Chapter Treasurer,
and (e) makes
an annual financial report as requested by the Loma Prieta Chapter Treasurer.
5. Membership Chairperson: Enrolls members and renews memberships , prints the quarterly Singleaire Newsletters and provides each subscribing member a copy. Keeps a current membership list, manages the membership database and reports quarterly on membership totals and other records as requested by the Executive Committee. Also provides the Yahoo Group monitor the current information on renewals and lapsed members.
6. Potluck Chairperson: Coordinates potluck dinners. Arranges for potluck hosts and co-hosts from the membership for inclusion in the quarterly Singleaire Newsletters.
7. Outings Committee Chairperson: Directs and coordinates hike leadership training and safety and first aid training and documents that in the hike leader / co-leader data base. Coordinates social activities for inclusion in the quarterly newsletters and web site
8. Conservation Chairperson: Keeps abreast of issues important to the Sierra Club and coordinates support of selected issues of concern to the Section, the Chapter and the Club.
9. Webmaster: Manages and maintains the Singleaires .org web site and coordinates its content with the other ExCom members.
Article VI. Meetings
Section 1. A general meeting shall be held every quarter. Notices shall be given to the membership in writing (usually in the Singleaire Newsletters) at least one month in advance. A quorum for conduct of business shall consist of ten members.
Section 2. Executive Committee meetings shall be held at least quarterly, prior to the general meetings. Any member of the Executive Committee may call a special meeting of the committee to deal with urgent situations. Executive Committee meetings are open to all members. Dates will be announced in advance in the Singleaire Newsletters of activities.
Section 3. In the event that a quorum of members does not attend three successive general meetings, the Section shall be disbanded and its assets reverted to the Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club.
Section 4. Meetings will be conducted using Roberts Rules of Order.
Article VII. Finances
Section 1. The Executive Committee shall set subscription fees designed to cover costs of publishing the quarterly Singleaire Newsletters, expenses of officers, cash reserves, equipment purchases, and regular donations to the Loma Prieta Chapter. If excess subscription funds remain, they may be donated to such other group or groups which share the goals of the Sierra Club. Such additional donations shall be approved at a general meeting.
Section 2. All reasonable and necessary expenses related to publishing the quarterly Singleaire Newsletters may be paid by a check signed by the Treasurer. Other reasonable expenditures may be paid by the treasurer. See the Standing Rules for amount which require approval of the Excom, and/or the attendees at a General meeting. The Secretary shall retain the attendee list of the Excom and the general meeting.
Section 3. All activities sponsored by the Section shall be financially modest to allow widespread participation by members. Social functions shall further the goals of the Sierra Club and be compatible with the purpose of the Singleaires. Donations to the Conservation Fund may be solicited at these events. Outings are to be self-supporting, with expenses paid by the participants. The Outings Bank account will be used for deposits from participants and for payments to outside vendors
services for the outing, The Treasurer will receive and pay these moneys. Any exceptions must be brought to the Executive Committee. See Standing Rules for amounts requiring approval by the Excom and/or at a General Meeting.
Article VIII. Committees
The Executive Committee may appoint standing committees, or special committees for specific projects, such as a financial audit committee. The committee structure shall be reviewed annually by the Executive Committee.
Article IX. Amendments
These Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the members present at a general meeting of the Section immediately following the publication of the proposed amendment to the full membership in a quarterly schedule. Written comments by members unable to attend the meeting, received by the secretary prior to the meeting, shall be read during the discussion period preceding the vote. Amended Bylaws will then be submitted to Chapter for approval. Standing Rules contain details of Singleaire organization which
may be updated by a simple majority of votes at an Excom and then a General Meeting. Prior notification of the proposed vote must be published to the membership.
Article X. Conflict of Bylaws
The Bylaws of the Loma Prieta Chapter and those of the Sierra Club supersede any provisions of these Bylaws, as expressed or amended, should any conflict be found.
Article XI. Termination of Membership
Any member who causes disruption of activities, or who causes concerns of safety for him/herself or others in section activities, shall meet with the Executive Committee, or a person or persons delegated by the Executive Committee, in an attempt to resolve the problem. If the problem cannot be resolved, the Executive Committee, by a 2/3 vote, shall have the authority to expel the member. There shall be an opportunity for the subject member to appear in his/her behalf before the Executive Committee prior to a
Standing Rules of the Sierra Singleaires
The purpose of the Standing Rules is to allow certain items to be changed by vote of the Excom, and then at a General meeting, without amending the bylaws. Standing Rules may be added, deleted, or modified on approval of both the Excom and General Meeting
Current standing rules are:
A. Definition of quarterly newsletters:
The Spring Newsletter covers March, April, and May
The Summer Newsletter covers June, July, and August
The Autumn Newsletter covers September, October, and November
The Winter Newsletter covers December, January, and February
B. Authorization for Singleaires expenditures from the General Fund is required for the following amounts:
1. Necessary expenses for publishing each quarterly newsletter exceeding $1,000.
2. Miscellaneous expenditures less then $100 may be paid by the Treasurer without other approval..
3. Expenditures over $100 but less than $500 may be authorized by the Excom.
4. Expenditures over $500 must be authorized at a meeting of the Excom and then at a General meeting.
Proper documentation/receipts are required for all expenditures. Only subscribing members may vote on these items.
C. Authorization for Singleaires expenditures from the Outings Fund shall be paid after coordinating with the event leaders and shall not exceed the payment from participants unless otherwise authorized as by the ExCom (for any amount up to $500). Proper documentation/receipts are required for all expenditures.
D. In publicity or other information about the Singleaires, the ages of members shall be described as “50's plus”.